As a member of the PJ&A coding team, you will be responsible for providing outpatient coding services to a multitude of healthcare facilities. The Outpatient Coder will be responsible for reviewing clinical documentation and diagnostic results as appropriate. A successful candidate must have demonstrated proficiency in outpatient surgery coding (95%-100% accuracy).
- Assigns codes for diagnoses, treatments and procedures according to the appropriate classification system for outpatient encounters to determine the most accurate diagnoses.
- Reviews physician assigned diagnosis code after thorough review of the medical record and, if necessary, queries physician for additional clarity in a professional manner.
- Able to accurately abstract information from the medial records into the abstract system, according to established guidelines.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Mentorships available to train new coders and/or new hires by providing education and training.
- Enters and validates codes, charges and other edits.
- Review documentation (and returned accounts) to verify and correct patient disposition upon discharge, or complete missing data elements.
- RHIT, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, or CPC-H.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in outpatient coding (95%-100% accuracy).
- Five (5) years of outpatient coding experience.
- Firm grasp on ICD-10, CPT and HCPCs principles and guidelines.
- Must be able to use standard office equipment and information systems.
- Ability to interact with other employees through effective communication.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel minimally, as necessary.
- This position will be located at our Troy, MI office.
Job Type: Full-time